Cooking is an art. But, it does have mathematics in it. Cooking needs some measurements, and those must be accurate. Whether you are baking a cake or making a cocktail, you must know what to put and in what amount. Hence, remembering and knowing the measurements is essential. Often, we forget the measurements and end up asking, “how many quarts in a gallon?”
So, in today’s article, let us explore some tricks to remember measurements easily.
Remembering measurements can be a difficult task. We understand you. All of us have faced the same issue one time or the other. Not just while cooking but also when our kids are solving mathematical measurement sums. So, today let us check out some tricks. These tricks will not only help you while cooking but also help your kid while solving sums.
What are the common units of capacity?
Before knowing different measurement conversions, you must know the common units of capacity in cooking. You must remember them by heart and not forget them. We have listed the common units of capacity below:
- Cups- Cups are a typical measurement in cooking. You get different cup sizes in cooking. They help while cooking, like measurement the amount of flour needed to bake a cake. Hence, cups are essential while cooking. The different cup sizes are 1/8 cup, ¼ cup, ½ cup, 1/3 cup, and 1 cup. If you are a cooking freak, make sure you have all the cup measurements with you.
- Quarts- Qt or quart is another cooking measurement. One quart is equal to 4 cups or 2 pints. There are three types of quart- imperial quart, dry quart, and liquid quart.
- Pints- If you are a baker, you must know the different measurements, and a pint is one of them. Therefore, 1 pint is equal to 16 fluid ounces. And, as mentioned earlier, 2 pints are equal to 1 quart.
- Fluid Ounces- This is another critical measurement. Fluid ounces or fl. Oz. This is typically used while measuring liquid. Say, milk for cake or measuring whiskey while making chocolates.
- Gallons- Gallon is an essential measurement in cooking. We measure gallons of water for different recipes and while cooking large meals for a feast. Hence, knowing this measurement and conversions is essential for a cooking master.
Tricks to remember conversions of quarts
As said earlier, we will be exploring some tricks for you and your kid to remember the measurements and easy conversions. Therefore, read along to know more. These tricks will help you remember how many quarts in a gallon? But, first, let’s check out the conversion once:
1 gallon is equal to 4 quarts
1 quart is equal to 2 pints
And, 1 pint is equal to 2 cups.
Trick 1- Inside the G
So, our first trick is Inside the G. Now, imagine G as a park. Inside the park, you have 4 quarts. Imagine the quarts as four segments of a park. Now, each segment, as in each quart, has two see-saws or 2 pints. Now, each see-saw or each pint has two children or 2 cups in it.
If you remember this trick, you can easily recognize the measurements. But, if you find this trick a bit tough to remember, you can also check out the next trick.
Trick 2- The gallon man
You are presenting to you the gallon man. So, let us do some craft now. You can hang it in your kitchen or your child’s room, so neither of you forget the measurements. For, this you need five different color papers.
Lets, first make the neck of the gallon, man. The neck represents one gallon.
Then, we take four different sheets from the neck and attach them to one gallon as one gallon is equal to 4 quarts.
Next, we will divide take another eight small different sheets of paper. Then, attach two papers to each quart as one quart is equal to 2 pints.
Then, again, 16 tiny sheets of different colored papers. These represent our cups. Attach two cups to each pint as one pint is equal to 2 cups.
Lastly, make the head and a smiley face of the gallon face and glue it with the neck. Hence, your gallon man is ready.
Therefore, these were two of the simplest tricks to remember different measurements. Follow them and remember measurements by heart.
How many cups in 1 gallon?
If you follow the gallon man trick, you will find 16 cups in one gallon. Moreover, half a gallon consists of 8 cups. Hence, remember measurements and conversions with simple tricks.
One cup is equal to 16 tablespoons, and one tablespoon has three teaspoons.
I hope the above tricks helped you to ease your problems. These are easy to make and remember. Hence, you will face no problem in the future. Measurements are essential in cooking, and there shouldn’t be any mistakes. So, follow the tips and help your child as well. Now, if someone asks you how many quarts in a gallon? Then you can quickly answer it.